raya hols and the heat

A rather unique week it was!

I took a day off from work and plus the two raya public holidays, I got myself a 5 day weekend. Splendid! Yen and I carpooled back to Taiping and had a smooth drive, thankfully. It was a good session of catching up and me playing DJ. I was pretty terrible at it though, haha. But practice makes perfect! =p

On my first day back home, you would have thought I slept away all my weariness. Oh no I did not! My dad recommended a few movies and I ended up watching ‘Bird on a Wire’ with him. It was an old movie but still exciting. I get to see the young Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn. Not to mention, caught up with the Chinese dramas that my family was following. The title is rather funny: The Three Heroes and Five Gallants. I suppose I enjoyed it because the word ‘gallant’ reminded me of Jiraiya ( character from Naruto ).

The next day, I did something new: Hiking up Maxwell Hill with Yen. Okay, honestly, we did not hike up the entire hill, just halfway. We made it to the third hut (check points). I was panting hard and out of breath. Yen, however, was just chill and steady. Oh man, I need to do more cardio exercises! I had a good sweat though! ^^   Aside from the green foliage, steep slopes and lots of much older people passing through, there is an interesting incident. Before we got started, I was careless with my speech and spoke a little too publicly (and loudly?) about Yen’s purse whereabouts and the mini bag I held which was used to put my water bottle. A random uncle with a small black folded umbrella chipped in to chide that I should take an umbrella instead because you never know when it might rain. Stunned, Yen and I merely gave cordial smiles and proceeded to walk up but no, he was not finished. He then cheerfully invited us to join him in the hiking trail instead. FYI, there is a bitumen-ed road where one can walk up to the top or use a hiking trail instead. Shaking our heads and politely declining, we continued our journey.  So, we walked up and up till the third hut and descended. While we passed the second hut, the random uncle was resting there with some other people. He spoke out again to us, this time, jokingly asking if we ran up since we seem to be fast. He was blissfully ignored. Yen and I ended our adventure with a refreshing sugarcane drink (for her) and coconut water (for me). It reminded me of  Kuching’s wondrous mix of sugar cane and coconut water. The combo was exquisite and thirst quenching. I missed it!

Now, I should probably mention that it was also very hot. I’ve gotten quite used to it, fortunately. My next activity would be exploring Gochisousan. It is an ‘asadora’ japanese drama, meaning the drama mostly focuses on a heroine’s life, either in a modern contemporary setting or from small to old. The English name of this J drama, Bon Appetit, is about the latter. Anne Watanabe (Ken Watanabe’s daughter) plays Meiko, a little girl with a passion for eating who blossoms into a young lady whose passion switches to cooking delicious food for the people she loves. It is an endearing drama with lots of life lessons and not to mention, good food! Heavily recommended by my father, I was soon hooked (sadly the english subtitles only begins from ep 25 onwards ). Notable mention would be the height of the main characters. It is pretty rare to have such a lanky leading lady (whopping 175cm) and the leading gentleman (amazing 189cm!!!).

Besides that, my family got to meet up with some relatives who have been traveling around and it is kind of sad to see the young kid saying “Taiping has nothing”. What do you know? Anyhow, it has been a rather quiet affair. I did not initiate any meetings or approach any of my friends for a meet up, though I did think about it. Sometimes, I feel like I want to and I need to but I just ended up hiding in my house. If it were not for Yen, I probably would be in my house only. Next time. Though, I am not sure if I am already a stranger to my friends by then…..

If you would like to know, the trip back to KL was slightly congested. We did heard a loud thud. I turned and saw the front of the car glued to the back of another. Oh my….it is a minor knock though Yen was asking, how can this accident happen when we are literally crawling on the road? We made it back safely and all is well. It is hot in KL too.

Looking forward to tomorrow! 2 new colleagues will be joining us!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s